A commemoration memorial service was held at Jurien Bay on 13th October. The focus of the service was on General Sir John Monash and General Sir Harry Chauvel and their important part in ending WW1. A moving and informative address was given by Brigadier Duncan Warren AM RFD (Ret) pictured at left with Jurien Bay RSL President Wayne Gibson at centre of picture. Brigadier Warren’s address was followed by the laying of wreaths by visiting dignitaries:
- ARMY and ADF – BRIGADIER DUNCAN WARREN
- RAAF – CHAPLAIN FLTLT PAUL RUSSELL
- RAAF – SQNLDR (AAFC) ROYCE EDWARDS
- ARMY LIGHT HORSE – CAPTAIN WAYNE GARDINER
- NAVY – LIEUTENANT ZEB LEAROYD
- NZ ARMED FORCES WO 1 (ret) WARREN NATHAN
- MR LAURIE GRAHAM – MLC
- DANDARAGAN SHIRE PRESIDENT – MRS LESLEE HOLMES
- RSLWA – BOARD MEMBER MR KEN MORRIS
- RSL JURIEN BAY – PRESIDENT MR WAYNE GIBSON
Although there was heavy rain for much of the morning, it held off during the service except for a brief, light shower. Following the service, a lunch was served in Jurien’s Bay’s Sport and Recreation Hall and the heavy rain resumed. We were remarkably fortunate that the rain held off for most of the service.
The evening concert was very well done. As well as the music you would expect from a military band there was some jazz, a little blues and some very talented vocalists. The Australian Army pipes and Drums ensemble contributed a couple of sets. A great night was enjoyed by the many who attended. The funds raised at the door went to Legacy and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Jurien Bay RSL Secretary/Treasurer Des Byfield, Sub-Branch President Wayne Gibson and Life Member Jim Clarke did an amazing job of pulling this event together, a truly outstanding effort.
- Ken Morris