RSLWA is building towards a technologically advanced future, with its new ANZAC House Veteran Central to provide groundbreaking care for Veterans and their families.
From humble beginnings in 1916, to the state-of-the-art facility currently under construction in 2019, ANZAC House has come a long way over the last century.
2019 – new ground is broken
In 2016 the Barnett Government transferred back to RSLWA the freehold title to the land on which ANZAC House sits. This was the beginning of the redevelopment and paved the way for this new era of ANZAC House.
The new ANZAC House will ensure Veterans get all the love, respect and care they need in one central location, no more running around to get vital services including: medical, psychological, re-employment, transition, aged-care, DVA, welfare and advocacy to name a few. Brand new technological advancements will modernise the way in which Veteran case-files are handled and will streamline the process for Veterans who require assistance from multiple agencies.
The building will also house a modern, revitalised ANZAC Club and public event space.
1981 – the rebirth of ANZAC House
After renovations of the 1934 site proved to be too cost-prohibitive, the League accepted an offer from the State Government to surrender the building and land, in exchange for a redevelopment of ANZAC House.
1934 – the birth of ANZAC House
In 1934 the first ANZAC House building was developed on St Georges Terrace. A competition was held for the design of the building, with A.R Baxter Cox Architects responsible for the winning design. ANZAC House was marketed as a ‘monument to the men and women who served their country in a time of great crisis’.
ANZAC House had such features as a ballroom, a rifle range and the very first ANZAC Club.
1916 – Soldiers Welcome Institute
The Soldiers Welcome Institute (SWI) was the first permanent home of the League in Western Australia and was established by the Soldiers Welcome Committee in 1916, one notable committee member was Edith Cowan OBE.
The group of buildings making up the SWI contained a barber shop, recreation rooms and dining facilities.
It was later deemed that these facilities held little comfort or attraction to Veterans and alternative accommodations were sought.